What helplines are available to assist people with disabilities and others?

If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, there may be a three-digit or toll-free helpline staffed with specialists who can connect you to local help. 

These three digit helplines are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). These numbers may not be available in all communities and, in some cases, cell phone callers may need to confirm they have been connected to the most local services.

  • 211 links callers to community level information and referral for a wide array of human services. Many of these lines are staffed by members of the Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS).
  • 311 links callers to government or municipal services and information.
  • 711 is set aside for TTY relay. Deaf or hard of hearing TTY users can call 711 to connect to a TTY operator who will call a non-TTY number on their behalf. The operator will read messages typed on the TTY and type any spoken responses. 
  • 911 is set aside for local emergency response, such as fire, ambulance, or police.
  • 988 is the National Suicide Prevention Hotline, connecting callers with mental health or substance use crises or their loved ones to services and supports in their community.

Some toll-free information lines are funded by the Federal government to meet the needs of the community. Operators may be available at all hours, others are staffed only during specific hours (business hours or extended hours), in which case callers may be directed to leave a message and will be contacted by a staff member during operating hours.

  • ADA Information Line 800/514-0301 or 800/514-0383 (TTY) - funded by the Department of Justice to provide information about the Americans with Disabiities Act (ADA) and assist callers in understanding how the ADA may apply to their situation.
  • ADA National Network Regional Centers 800/949-4232 (4ADA) - funded by ACL/NIDILRR - one number will connect callers to the nearest center serving their region to learn about their rights and responsibilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
  • Disability Information and Assistance Line 888/677-1199 - funded by ACL - callers can request assistance in getting information about COVID-19 testing and vaccinations, and be connected to local services that promote independent living and address fundamental needs. 
  • Eldercare Locator 800/677-1116 - funded by ACL to connect callers to services supporting older adults and caregivers in the community.
  • FEMA Disaster Survivors 800/621-3362 (FEMA) or 800/462-7585 (TTY) - funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to connect callers to services and supports immediately following disasters.
  • MyVA411 800/698-2411 - a central number to connect veterans and their families to information and support resources available through the Veterans Administration, including health benefits, disability resources, and supports for independent living.
  • National Aging and Disability Transportation Center 866/983-3222 - funded by the Department of Transportation to connect callers to information and resources regarding transportation options for older adults, people with disabilities, and caregivers, to enhance their ability to live more independently. 
  • National Alzheimer's Call Center 800/272-3900 - funded by ACL to connect callers, including caregivers, to information and resources about Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.
  • National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) Information Resource Center 866/615-6464 - funded by NIMH to respond to mental health-related questions, requests for publications, and information about NIMH research, policies, and priorites.
  • National Limb Loss Resource Center 888/267-5669 - funded by ACL to connect callers to information, resources, and supports around limb loss and limb difference, including information about prosthetics and orthotics.
  • National Paralysis Resource Center 800/225-0290 - funded by ACL to connect callers to information and support resources about paralysis, including spinal cord injury and stroke, and assistive technology to support independence.
  • Office of Minority Health Resource Center 800/444-6472 - funded by the Office of Minority Health to connect callers to information and resources around health issues impacting minority and underrepresented communities, including culturally competent care.
  • SAMHSA's Disaster Distress Helpline 800/985-5990 - funded by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) to connect callers to mental health resources following disasters in the community.
  • SAMHSA's National Helpline 800/662-4357 (HELP) or 800/487-4889 (TTY) - funded by SAMHSA to help callers find services and supports for mental health and substance use disorders, including treatment facilities.
  • USAGov 844/872-4681 (USA-GOV1) - callers can ask questions about the US government, its individual agencies, program, benefits, services, and more.
  • Veteran Crisis Line 800/273-8255 (TALK) - connects veterans to trained responders who can assist during a mental health crisis. The service is available to all veterans, even if they are not registered with the VA or enrolled in VA healthcare.

In addition to these federally-funded resources, individual organizations such as nonprofit and advocacy organizations may operate information lines and resource centers to assist people with disabilities, caregivers, practitioners, and researchers. Please visit our Disability Resources pages to find disability-specific organizations and their contact information.