Librarian's Picks: Burns

Recovery, rehabilitation, and reintegration

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), burns and fires are the third leading cause of death in the home. In 2010, a fire-related death occurred every 169 minutes. A fire injury occurred every 30 minutes. The American Burn Association states that roughly 450,000 patients receive hospital and emergency room treatment for burns each year.

Severe burns are one of the most complex forms of traumatic injury, and people with burn injuries often require long-term rehabilitation. Survivors of a burn injury may have a wide range of physical and psychosocial problems that can affect their quality of life.

The agencies and organizations listed in this guide can help you and your family on the road to recovery.

These and other resources are also available from our “browse by topic” webpage!

Information and Support

American Burn Association (ABA)
ABA and its members dedicate their efforts and resources to promoting and supporting burn-related research, education, care, rehabilitation, and prevention. Various publications and resources are available for burn care professionals. Use the Find a Burn Center database to locate a facility in a specific area

The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors
Phone: 800/888-2876; 616/458-2773
The Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering anyone affected by a burn injury through peer support, education, and advocacy. Their Resource Library offers articles on a wide variety of topics including personal stories, practical tools, and information to support the journey of recovery. Burn recovery programs support survivors and families physically, socially, and emotionally throughout the healing process.

Children’s Burn Foundation
Phone: 800/949-8898; 818/907-2822
Children’s Burn Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support services for child burn survivors, ages 0-18, and their families. The Full Recovery Program for child burn survivors is a blend of medical care, psycho-social support services, and daily living support to help young burn survivors achieve their full potential.

Model Systems Knowledge Translation Center (MSKTC)
Phone: 202/403-5600
MSKTC summarizes research, identifies health information needs, and develops information materials for individuals living with burn injury and people who support them. The evidence-based materials are available in a variety of platforms: consumer-oriented factsheets; slideshows on topics related to living with a burn injury; and the hot topic modules consists of resources to help individuals with burn injuries navigate employment and exercise after burn injury.

Family Caregiver Alliance (FCA)
Phone: 800/445-8106
FCA offers programs at national, state and local levels to support and sustain caregivers. Its goals include public advocacy for those with financial and emotional distress, direct services to family caregivers (in California), and the national distribution of information on caregiving and the care of people with chronic disabling conditions.

Caregiver Action Network (CAN)
Phone: 202/454-3970
CAN is a non-profit organization providing education, peer support, and resources to family caregivers nationwide. CAN serves a broad spectrum of family caregivers ranging from the parents of children with significant health needs, to the families and friends of wounded soldiers; from a young couple dealing with a diagnosis of MS, to adult children caring for parents with Alzheimer’s disease.

Rehabilitation and Therapy

NRH Field Guide to Choosing a High Quality Medical Rehabilitation Program
This guide was developed by National Rehabilitation Hospital and Boston University to help patients and their families evaluate rehabilitation facilities and choose the right program to fit their needs. It includes checklists, questions to ask, a glossary of terms, and information on insurance and Medicare/Medicaid. The guide is free to download or order from NARIC.

American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
APTA is the main professional body for physical therapists (PTs), physical therapist assistants (PTAs), and students of physical therapy in the US. Their website includes a Find a PT service navID=10737422525&UniqueKey=.
Be sure to check out their Choosing your Physical Therapist guidelines

American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
AOTA is the national professional association representing the interests and concerns of occupational therapy practitioners and students. While they do not have a member directory that is searchable by the public, they do have a database to find a Driver Rehabilitation Specialist Tip sheets provide answers and resources to learn more about how occupational therapy can help you or your loved ones live life to its fullest.

American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (AAPM&R)
Find a PM&R physician: AAPMR/AAPMR_FINDER.aspx.

American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) ProSearch Database
Phone: 800/638-8255
ASHA is the national professional, scientific, and credentialing association for members and affiliates who are audiologists; speech-language pathologists; speech, language, and hearing scientists; audiology and speech-language pathology support personnel; and students. Individuals can search the database to locate Certified Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists in their area or by calling the toll-free number.

Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is a federal government website managed and paid for by CMS. offers search tools to locate a physician, find suppliers of medical equipment, and compare hospitals and nursing homes in your area.

Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
Phone: 888/281-6531; 520/495-7077 (TTY)
CARF International is an independent, nonprofit accreditor of human service providers in the areas of rehabilitation for a disability, treatment for addiction and substance abuse, home and community services, aging services, behavioral health, child and youth services, and medical rehabilitation. Use their search page to find inpatient and outpatient medical rehabilitation centers, burn injury centers, and other facilities and providers.

National Easterseals
Phone: 800/221-6827
National Easterseals provides multiple medical rehabilitation services including physical, occupational, and speech therapy, adult day care, vocational rehabilitation, as well as, a variety of additional services. Call for information on offices in your area. Web site includes program information listed by zip code or state.

National Association for Home Care and Hospice (NAHC)
Phone: 202/547-7424
NAHC is an advocacy organization that assists patients seeking in-home care, home healthcare providers, medical professionals, and others working to increase access to in-home care, rather than institutionalization. Website has information on how to select the right home care provider, including a checklist of questions to ask. Find a provider through the Home Care/Hospice Agency Locator:

Assistive Technology
An information resource providing up-to-date, thorough information on AT, adaptive environments, and community resources. The database is both browsable and keyword searchable.

National Assistive Technology Act Technical Assistance and Training (AT3) Center
Phone: 217/522-7985
The AT3 Center provides information about the Assistive Technology Act, State Assistive Technology Programs, and general assistive technology. Find your state program:

Attach a File: