Medical and Vocational Rehabilitation
Please also visit our NARIC's Librarians' Picks for Employment and Self-Employment: www.naric.com/public/employment.cfm?id=5
Find a hospital/PT/OT/nursing home
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Phone: 800/999-2782 (V), 703/683-6748 (TDD)
Choosing Your Physical Therapist: tinyurl.com/ouhj2se.
Find a PT: tinyurl.com/4h5zy6p.
- American Speech Language Hearing Association
- Phone: 800/638-8255, Available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. EST
Find a speech therapist: www.asha.org/proserv.
- Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
- CARF promotes the quality, value, and optimal outcomes of services through a consultative accreditation process that centers on enhancing the lives of the persons served.
Toll Free: 888/281-6531 (V), 520/495-7077 (TTY)
- Consumer Guide to Choosing a High Quality Medical Rehabilitation Program
- A free, 40-page guide with checklists, questions to ask, and a great glossary of terms to help you find the right rehabilitation facility for your needs.
- Directory of "find a..." Listings from Medline Plus
- Provides links to directories to help you find health professionals, services and facilities. Includes: Doctors/Dentists, Hospital/Clinics, Other Health Care Providers.
- DoctorFinder through the American Medical Association (AMA)
- DoctorFinder provides you with basic professional information on virtually every licensed physician in the United States. This database includes more than 690,000 doctors.
- Hospital Compare
- This tool provides information on how well hospitals care for all their adult patients relating to certain conditions or procedures. Information provided assists in comparing the quality of care hospitals provide.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Organizations (JCAHO)
- Toll Free: 800/994-6610
Search for an accredited facility: www.qualitycheck.org/consumer/searchQCR.aspx.
- ReLAB-HS Rehabilitation Resources Repository
- A searchable database of rehabilitation-related materials for consumers, services providers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and speech therapists. Information resources are available in English, Spanish, French, and Ukrainian.
- Contact Form: resources.relabhs.org/contact-us/.
- Special Focus Facility (SFF) Initiative
- Through the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) this listing contains information on the worse rated nursing homes.
- U.S. Hospital Finder™
- U.S. News and World Report – Listing of Best Hospitals
- Includes the top 15 rehabilitation hospitals
Find your local Vocational Rehabilitation office or Career One-Stop
- One-Stop Career Centers
- CareerOneStop is a U.S. Department of Labor-sponsored Web site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals to foster talent development in a global economy.
Toll-free: 877/872-5627 (V), 877/889-5627 (TTY)
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN)
- Toll Free: 800-526-7234 (V/TTY)
State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies: askjan.org/cgi-win/TypeQuery.exe?902.
- California Department of Rehabilitation
- Information on California rehabilitation services and links to local offices.
Toll Free: 800/952-5544 (V), 916/324-1313
- California Client Assistance Program
- Toll Free: 800/776-5746 (V), 800/719-5798 (TTY)
Research Centers, Professional Organizations, Agency Resources
- National Center for Medical Rehabilitation Research (NCMRR) – Part of NICHD
- Toll Free: 800/370-2943 (V), 888/320-6942 (TTY)
- National Rehabilitation Association (NRA)
- NRA is a member organization whose mission is to promote ethical and excellent practice in rehabilitation.
Toll Free: 888/258-4295, Available Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. EST
- Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America (RESNA)
- Phone: 703/524-6686 (V)
- Not finding what you need? Search our Knowlegebase of disability and rehabilitation resources: http://naric.com/?q=en/Knowledgebase